Sunday 29 January 2012

First Post

Planning to blog some stuff here about my journey with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD).
Also writing this stuff into a paper journal.

To start at the beginning....

I had a routine medical at work in around 2002 which highlighted very high Blood Pressure (BP) - it was 220/129!

Doctors spent 4 years trying to keep my BP under control and eventually in around 2007 (I think can't remember exactly) sent me for an ultrasound to see if my kidneys were ok. They found lots of cysts on my kidneys and referred me to the renal team at Gloucestershire Royal Hosptial (GRH). I had six monthly check ups to monitor my kidney function. All the time the Nephrologist's said to live life normally as I had at leas 10 years before anything changed.

In October 2010 I married Joybelle - she has made my life complete - I've never been happier. We went together to a renal check up before we got married and the Nephrologist still said it would be 8 years based on my current kidney decline. Me and Joybelle looked at the figures and thought it would be sooner. After we got married and went back to the Nephrologist for a routine appointment he agreed that it was looking more like two years until End Stage Renal Failure (ESRF) - great news - not!

When Joybelle's family heard amazingly her sister Sandra offered to donate a kidney. This was incredible as I hardly knew her and yet she was willing to give me a fantastic gift which would give me life free from dialysis.
If I needed dialysis I would be tied up 3 days a week at least and limited in where I cold travel and the hours I cold work having a massive impact our lives.

This blog will chart the progress of the kidney transplant operation. It is primarily written for Sandra's children so they can get some insight into my journey. I will be forever thankful to Sandra their mum for giving me the chance to continue my life dialysis free.

No comments:

Post a Comment